CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Don't Feed the Feral Cats and Other Hard-to-Follow Tenets of Adulthood

A beautiful feral cat with huge glowing green eyes has taken to hanging out in the flower bed in front of my house.  Then three adorable kittens showed up!  They are for serious so cute, all fluffy and blue-eyed.  However, it's been so hot that I've been really worried about the poor little things.  I really wanted to put out food and water for them, but my dad (and to a lesser extent Kristen) was adamant that I not encourage them to stick around.  While I totally understand that it's very practical to refrain from feeding them because they'll become dependent and I'll have to keep feeding them forever and yada yada yada, it's still really hard to let it go.  Refraining from inadvertently adopting wild animals is one of the tenets of adulthood I've had to adopt.  Unfortunately, it's not the only unpleasant truth I've had to learn.  Some others include:
--Sometimes you have to work on holidays.
--You can't always take a nap when you need one.
--The ATM is not a magic money machine.
--Health insurance?  Kinda a big deal.
--Good self-esteem and a positive attitude is not all you need to succeed in life.  You actually do need some sort of talent.

Goodness, this is depressing!  To make up for it, here are a few positive things about adulthood:
--You can use a calculator with impunity.
--You can actually rent a car if you want to go on vacation.
--You don't have to eat your vegetables.

Hopefully the kittens will do alright without my help.  I guess it's just as well since the mommy cat would probably feel the need to tell her kittens not to eat food from strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment