CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Is My Face Red?

I pride myself on being pretty shameless when it comes to my love of all things cheesy.  However, I recently found myself inexplicably embarrassed to admit to my mother and sister that I had TiVod a certain teen drama. (I will not reveal the show here, but I will write a poem about anyone who can guess it's title.)  I've been asking myself why I am only now developing some sense of shame about this kind of thing, and I just don't know.  Naturally, this has led me to study the nature of embarrassment.  Below are my preliminary findings:
 

When an acquaintance goes by I often step back from my window, not so much to spare him the effort of acknowledging me as to spare myself the embarrassment of seeing that he has not done so.
Georg C. Lichtenberg
 The rate at which a person can mature is directly proportional to the embarrassment he can tolerate.
Douglas Engelbart

But I learned that there's a certain character that can be built from embarrassing yourself endlessly. If you can sit happy with embarrassment, there's not much else that can really get to ya.
Christian Bale

I mean, I haven't been around very long. I can't expect everyone to have seen 'The House Bunny'. Oh God. I am having such waves of internal embarrassment, which now I'm admitting on a tape recorder. This is so one of the things I should keep in my head.
Emma Stone

I won't say there aren't any Harvard graduates who have never asserted a superior attitude. But they have done so to our great embarrassment and in no way represent the Harvard I know.
Derek Bok
One of the most frightening things about your true nerd, for may people, is not that he's socially inept - because everybody's been there - but rather his complete lack of embarrassment about it.
Neal Stephenson
I must say, so far I haven't really learned much, except perhaps that I spend too much time watching cheesy teen dramas.

No comments:

Post a Comment