CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Like Cinderella Before the Whole Shoe Thing

Once upon a time, there lived a little girl who loved fairy tales.  She loved the beautiful princesses, the handsome princes, the fancy weddings, and the fact that everyone always lived happily ever after.  That little girl grew up to be perpetually single and design snarky greeting cards.

While in Florida visiting our grandparents, Kristen and I spent a lot of time washing dishes.  She would wash and I would dry, and we both sang Disney songs as we worked.  During one such dish-washing extravaganza, Kristen said, "I love watching the soap bubbles.  It reminds me of the scene in Cinderella when she's washing the floor and singing.  The iridescent bubbles were so pretty!"  I replied, "You're the only person I know who wants to be Cinderella before the whole shoe thing."

Then it hit me:  Would it really be so bad to be the fairy tale princess before the deus ex machina du jour arrives to whisk her into the lap of trophy-wifedom?  I'm not so sure.  Let's break it down.  Our heroines usually come from loving families, although sometimes said family is no longer in the picture.  They typically have some sort of occupation, usually cooking, cleaning, or weaving.  They have dreams and ambitions, and they find joy through the arts.  They are actually pretty normal.  Really, they aren't so different from me  or the women I know.

I think there is an important lesson to be learned in all of this.  I am a fairy tale character, just one mythical creature away from my happy ending.  And so, dear reader, are you.  If you ever forget that or get tired of waiting, please stay away from spinning wheel needles and apples from strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment