CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 7, 2011

You've Got Time and You've Got Pants

Since I've been sick, I've been a little less cheery of late.  I was stressing out over all of things I had to get done and no energy to do any of it.  I was tired and cranky and generally just unpleasant.  Thankfully, Jack came over to put me in my place.

He came to visit me in one of his rare extra-sweet moods.  He ran up to give me a hug as soon as he walked in.  He prattled on about the silly brown monkey in Toy Story 3 (he knows how much I love monkeys) and asked me to come sit with him and watch Mickey's Clubhouse. After several hours of playing and reading books, Jack looked at me with a thoughtful expression as if he were about to impart great wisdom.  He said, "You know what, Aunt Jamie?  You've got time, and you've got pants."  He nodded his head emphatically with tremendous self-satisfaction and repeated his little aphorism a few more times for good measure.  Then he dissolved into giggles and said, "Haha!  I have pants too!"

my philosophical gila
I would never claim to know what is going on in my nephew's head; he's way too creative for me to keep up with.  Still, I can't help but wonder if what he meant to say was something along these lines:  You know what, Aunt Jamie?  You need to snap out of this funk and stop feeling sorry for yourself.  You have everything you need, and you'll get everything done eventually.  Until then, chill the heck out!  It's not like you're living in a cardboard box on the highway."

Yes, Jack does have my attitude.  During lunch, he looked at his mother and said, "What's your damage?"  I was proud; I taught him that phrase as soon as he began talking.  I appreciated the little talking-to he gave me because I think I needed it.  I cheered up significantly after that because I can't let a 4-year-old be smarter than me.  As it is, I think he's going to give me a run for my money in the card writing business when he gets older.  I really need to up my game!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to teach your children horrible things, just so you know. It's only fair.

    ReplyDelete