CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 24, 2011

To Live Brightly

People are like stained-glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.  
~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Why is it that so many artists are only appreciated after they die?  Do their paintings magically transform from childish trivialities to classic works of art upon their passing?  Of course, this paradox isn't limited to visual arts.  One of my favorite movies, It's a Wonderful Life, was a box office flop when first released.  The heartwarming tale of a man who feels like a failure only became popular many years later when shown on television (it was only aired because it was the cheapest option for the network).  I have to wonder, did these men and women believe that one day their work would touch the hearts and minds of generations, spreading the light of joy and understanding and hope?  Or did they work for the simple joy of creating something beautiful?

I write a lot on this blog about wanting to be successful, to financially support myself doing something that I love.  But what I want even more than success (and you all know I want that like whoa!) is to live brightly
                         to glow from within
                         to smile genuinely
                         to laugh without volume control
                         to use humor as a band-aide rather than a weapon
                         to question unceasingly
                         to understand fully
                         to speak the truth always
                         to grow unimaginably
                         to love indiscriminately
                         to give unreservedly
                         to imagine the impossible
                         to create the inspirational.

This is my wish for myself and for all of you.  I know this post isn't snarky, and I'm sorry if your disappointed.  The snark will be back tomorrow with Heroes and Villains!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I hope that all people strive for those things as well. I feel like I want to let go of what we all feel we have to do, and just be.

    ReplyDelete